Recommended academic papers, books, and analyses, many of which are referenced by this site:
- Bartholdi, John J., and James B. Orlin. "Single Transferable Vote Resists Strategic Voting." Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 8, no. 4, 1991, pp. 341–354.
- Dennis, Greg. "The Troubling Record of Approval Voting at Dartmouth." December, 2017.
- Dennis, Greg. "University of Colorado Student Government election highlights challenges for approval voting." August, 2018.
- Dolez, Bernard and Annie Laurent. "Strategic voting in a semi-presidential system with a two-ballot electoral system. The 2007 French legislative election." French Politics, vol. 8, no. 1, 2010. pp. 1-20.
- FairVote. "Dartmouth Alumni Oust Approval Voting 82% to 18%." May, 2009.
- FairVote. "Why Approval Voting is Unworkable in Contested Elections: And How the Borda Count, Score Voting, Range Voting and Bucklin Voting are Similarly Flawed Due to Vulnerability to Strategic Voting." July, 2011.
- Fraenkel, Jon and Bernard Grofman. "The Borda Count and its Real World Alternatives: Comparing Scoring Rules in Nauru and Slovenia." APSA 2014 Annual Meeting Paper.
- Green-Armytage, James, T. Nicolaus Tideman, and Rafael Cosman. "Statistical Evaluation of Voting Rules." Social Choice and Welfare (2016) 46: 183.
- Green-Armytage, James. “Strategic Voting and Nomination.” Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 42, no. 1, 2014, pp. 111–138.
- Monroe, Burt. "Raising Turkeys: An Extension and Devastating Application of Myerson-Weber Voting Equilibrium." Presented to the American Political Science Association, 1993.
- Nagel, Jack H. “The Burr Dilemma in Approval Voting.” The Journal of Politics, vol. 69, no. 1, 2007, pp. 43–58.
- Nagel, Jack. H. "Strategic Evaluation in Majority Judgement." Presented at a Program in Celebration of Michel Balinski, Stony Brook University, 2012.
- Niemi, Richard G. “The Problem of Strategic Behavior under Approval Voting.” The American Political Science Review, vol. 78, no. 4, 1984, pp. 952–958.
- Ritchie, Ken and Alessandro Gardini. "Putting Paradoxes into Perspective: in Defence of the Alternative Vote." In: Felsenthal D., Machover M. (eds) Electoral Systems. Studies in Choice and Welfare. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg (2012).
- Saari, Donald G. and Jill Van Newenhizen. “The Problem of Indeterminacy in Approval, Multiple, and Truncated Voting Systems.” Public Choice, vol. 59, no. 2, 1988, pp. 101–120.
- Tideman, T. Nicolaus. Collective Decisions and Voting: The Potential for Public Choice. Ashgate Publishing, 2006.
- Tideman, T. Nicolaus. "Independence of clones as a criterion for voting rules." Social Choice and Welfare (1987) 4: 185.